The exam is the first of a series of exams that determine the USA team that attends the International Physics Olympiad (IPhO). For more information on the USA selection, click here. You can find more physics competitions here, and the higher-quality competitions include
The KMHS physics club will focus on -level preparation. The topics covered by the are
- dimensional analysis.
Preparation for the exam starts with a solid understanding of classical mechanics, which can be obtained from AP Physics 1, AP Physics C Mechanics, or textbooks such as Halliday and Resnick or the Feynman Lectures. The following resources have been listed by difficulty of problems or by difficulty of exposition, when applicable. Note that some of these sources may include topics that are not covered by the exam. Overpreparing for exams is a good strategy, so we have provided an advanced section. The advanced section may also be used for USAPhO and IPhO training.
- Problems in General Physics by Irodov
- Problems and Solutions in Introductory Mechanics
- Past Exams with Solutions
- Introduction to Classical Mechanics: With Problems and Solutions
- Weekly Harvard Problems in Physics and Mathematics with Solutions (Note: many of these problems come from the above source)
- IPhO Resources
- Rudolph Ortvay Competition
- Past IPhO Exams Source 1
- Past IPhO Exams Source 2
- Past IPhO Exams Source 3
- Past APhO Exams
- World Cup - International Theoretical Physics Olympiad for Undergraduate Students